Here’s an English transcript of my Al Jazeera comments on OPEC+ negotiations and some further remarks on the group’s agreement to raise production.
Good evening from Berlin.
Answer 1. Well, OPEC-Plus is faced with maintaining a very delicate balance.
On the one hand, demand in the Western world is down, its weak, while in the Eastern world, in Asia – in China and India – demand is relatively strong. And this is a complicating matter.
At the same time, in supply, in Libya, for example, the oil production is not under the [OPEC+] agreement and has been coming back on the market.
OPEC has been doing relatively well, in the last few months or so, of balancing the market. The question is, how to maintain this going forward, with its exports, how to balance supply with demand.
But what is appearing is not the big split between Russia and Saudi Arabia that we saw last year in the Oil Price War. Now we have differences … such as we see with the UAE [i.e., versus the Saudis]. The UAE would like, as we have seen, also Russia has said, an increase in production. That would be very difficult for other, more expensive producers to do at this point.
Answer 2: Yes. It does. I mean, of course the UAE has been getting a lot of press [about its demand to increase production], … so it is a matter of how serious the UAE is, and how serious the Russians are to want to raise production in some way.
- My EuroNews #3: US Sanctions killing Nord Stream 2. Yet Berlin persists trying, with Moscow. January 7, 2021
- My EuroNews Q&A: All German parties back Nord Stream 2 except Greens; USA says it frees Putin to subvert Ukraine & Belarus December 9, 2020
- My Al Jazeera comments: OPEC+ strikes delicate balance as UAE & Russia defy Saudis December 7, 2020
- My EuroNews live interview: Contrary to Moscow’s disinformation & bravado, Nord Stream 2 pipeline is dead. December 4, 2020
- Nord Stream 2: Berlin-Washington Mutual Intransigence Shows Transatlantic Divide on Russia | My AICGS Analysis October 10, 2020
- EE UU v. Alemania: Sanciones y el oleoducto ruso Nord Stream 2 | Fui invitado en “El Fundo” de DW TV August 16, 2020
- I’m quoted by the FT | “Germany warns new US sanctions endanger Nord Stream 2 pipeline. (As) serious interference in European sovereignty” July 3, 2020
- My interview: on US troops redeployed in Germany & Poland | O’Donnell: Żołnierze u granic Rosji to sygnał dla Kremla [Wywiad] July 1, 2020
- Will Germany decide to unfreeze relations with Russia after the pandemic? Czy Niemcy zdecydują się na odmrożenie relacji z Rosją po pandemii? [My interview] May 9, 2020
- Oil Price War 3: My AlJazeera spot on negative price, Putin’s rout, shale, and Trump’s dilemma: independents v big oil April 26, 2020
- Decoding the Oil Price War 2: My Wikistrat webinar “Oil Price War & COVID Crisis” transcript April 14, 2020
- Decoding the Oil Price War 1: Moscow seized COVID crisis to hit US shale, force sanctions relief April 9, 2020
- Europe’s Gas Crunch: The Pending Crisis Around Nordstream 2 & Ukraine Transit June 6, 2019
- Washington interviews: Energy Relations of Russia, Germany, Poland & Ukraine (Kennan Fellow) June 2, 2019
- Venezuelan transition? My analysis on Germany’s DW TV | Videos: español & English March 1, 2019
- Germany backs small-scale LNG import terminals despite opposition [my King’s College/EUCERS paper] August 29, 2018
- Germany’s Real LNG Policy [My BPJ analysis] July 4, 2018
- Putin’s OPEC tactics: Iran sanctions and the Saudis [IBD cites me] June 18, 2018
- A Comment on: “A Trans-Atlantic Manifesto in Times of Trump – A German Perspective,” by foreign policy experts October 12, 2017
- China’s big NOCs slash prices to take market from private oil refiners ~ I’m quoted in “China Oil Week” July 31, 2017
- “Neue Neue Ostpolitik” My BPJ piece on German fury at Senate NS2 sanctions July 3, 2017
- Trump’s promise to “stay totally independent” of OPEC is populist hype [My IBD interview] January 3, 2017
- Putin’s new OPEC role reflects the toll of low oil prices on Russia [IBD quotes me] December 9, 2016
- My CNNMoney quote & 3 points: OPEC v shale, Russia’s new role & Trump-buddy Hamm is pro Saudi price band December 3, 2016
- An Oil-Price War´s Surprise Ending -My BPJ article on OPEC, Shale, Trump, Market & Geopolitics November 30, 2016
- Saudi & Russia seek oil deal as OPEC fight v US shale fails [My RTRadio Interview] November 21, 2016
- Post-election reading list: Trump’s foreign policy portends “world crisis” November 9, 2016
- Bolivarian Venezuela in crisis: An oil-rich nation collapses? Berlin, 10 October October 3, 2016
- Pipe Dream? Polish ruling complicates Nord Stream 2 pipeline for Gazprom & EU partners [My Berlin Policy Journal piece] September 26, 2016
- “Energy independence” won’t free the USA from global oil market & geopolitics [I’m cited: CNNMoney] August 12, 2016
- How fast can Libyan oil recover? (I’m quoted by CNN) July 21, 2016
- New US tech squeezing oilfields & rivals [IBD quotes me] June 18, 2016
- What’s keeping foreign oil firms out of Iran? IRG? [CNNMoney quotes me] June 17, 2016
- IBD News cites me: OPEC Oil Production Ceiling Reported On Table June 2, 2016
- Don’t write off American oil boom despite OPEC – CNNMoney cites my analysis June 1, 2016
- Latin American Oil: Beijing Still Lending, But for How Long? – I’m quoted by Energy Compass May 31, 2016
- Wikistrat Report “Saudi Arabia & the Future of Oil” cites my views May 29, 2016
- I’m quoted by MarketWatch: Five key issues for OPEC’s June meet May 27, 2016
- Falling oil price & Saudi strategy: My Sky News interview (London) February 12, 2016
- My AQ piece: “Russia Is Beating China to Venezuela’s Oil Fields” February 4, 2016
- “The Road to Paris: COP21 …” Berlin HEEN Conference November 26, 2015
- Bypass Operation: Nord Stream 2, Russia-to-Germany pipeline deal, raises questions October 20, 2015
- Venezuela: Default risks grow (I’m quoted in Platts) September 4, 2015
- Containing Gazprom: Putin may be overplaying his hand on gas – but no thanks to Berlin and Paris August 10, 2015
- A Strange “No!” Alignment: Greeks, IMF and Washington v. Berlin and Brussels July 6, 2015
- MY REPORT | Washington Viewpoints: Assessing Berlin’s Leadership on EU Energy Security July 3, 2015
- US Experts on German & EU Energy Vulnerabilities (My D.C. seminar) June 10, 2015
- The EU-US “Oil Weapon”: Putin’s overtures to OPEC, China & Iran reveal desperation April 23, 2015
- The P5+1–Iran Deal: Obama’s Initial Challenge was to Rally EU-3 Allies to the Cause April 14, 2015
- “US Expert Perspectives on German Energy Vulnerabilities” – My AICGS/Washington Project April 6, 2015