Our panel included the experts:
- Klaus Larres Professor of History and International Affairs, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Lucia Scripcari Analyst on Moldovan Domestic and Foreign Policy
- Thomas O’Donnell Energy and Geopolitics Analyst, and academic, in Berlin.
The energy security of Moldova, a small, pro-EU state boarding Romania, is precarious and under various and comlpex threats from Russia. This includes direct threats to its gas supplies, which overwhelmingly come from Gazprom.
Meanwhile, Moldova’s 70% of its electricity comes from its region of Transnistria, which is illegally occupied by Russia, and this electricity is produced by gas imported across Moldova by Gazprom.
The remaining 30% of its electricity comes from Ukraine, where recent Russian missile strikes have hit power plants and apparently forced a cut off the Ukrainian electricity supplies to Moldova on the day before we recorded this show.
Here are several links I used in my preparation for this discussion. (Not a recommendation of any particular source; but a list for further research – Best, Tom O’D.
- Romania plans record EU-funded investments in energy infrastructure – EURACTIV.com https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/romania-plans-record-eu-funded-investments-in-energy-infrastructure/?
- Ukraine and Moldova move to disarm Vladimir Putin’s energy weapon – Atlantic Council https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/ukraine-and-moldova-move-to-disarm-vladimir-putins-energy-weapon/
- Moldova says Russian Missiles that Hit Ukraine Crossed its Airspace – Kyiv Post – Ukraine’s Global Voice https://www.kyivpost.com/russias-war/moldova-says-russian-missiles-that-hit-ukraine-crossed-its-airspace.html?utm_source=Kyiv+Post%27s+Ukraine+Digest&utm_campaign=9e14e65208-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_10_10_10_50&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_50a8dda26f-9e14e65208-355346229
- (PDF) TROUBLE IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD? THE FUTURE OF THE EU’S EASTERN PARTNERSHIP | Dionis Cenusa – Academia.edu https://www.academia.edu/11222015/TROUBLE_IN_THE_NEIGHBOURHOOD_THE_FUTURE_OF_THE_EU_S_EASTERN_PARTNERSHIP?email_work_card=abstract-read-more
- Opinion | Moldova President Sandu: E.U. integration is critical to our survival – The Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/10/06/moldova-president-interview-eu-integration/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_opinions&utm_campaign=wp_opinions
- How Russia is seizing on discontent in Moldova | Open Democracy https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/-russia-moldova-protests-gas-ukraine/
- Moldova’s dependence on Russian gas plays into Vladimir Putin’s hands | Financial Times https://www.ft.com/content/cab945c1-8bec-4389-b75f-dd2d1c50a53a
- Moldova says Russia’s Gazprom cuts gas supplies by 30% | Reuters https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/moldova-says-russias-gazprom-cuts-gas-supplies-by-30-2022-10-01/
- Energy security – Moldova energy profile – Analysis – IEA https://www.iea.org/reports/moldova-energy-profile/energy-security
- Energy Community Homepage https://www.energy-community.org/implementation/Moldova/GAS.html
- Energy Community Homepage
- Republic of Moldova Energy Profile https://iea.blob.core.windows.net/assets/a6dd7ac3-8955-41f9-8971-d7c09ccff6d9/MoldovaEnergyProfile.pdf
- Energy crisis: Winter could be very difficult for Moldova, its PM tells Euronews https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/16/energy-crisis-winter-could-be-very-difficult-for-moldova-its-pm-tells-euronews
- pipelines moldova – Google Searc https://www.google.com/search?q=pipelines+moldova&oq=pipelines+moldova&
- Republic of Moldova’s natural gas transmission pipelines https://moldovatransgaz.md/en/news/54
- FEATURE: New Moldovan gas link complete, but doubts remain over use | S&P Global Commodity Insights https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/natural-gas/100920-feature-new-moldovan-gas-link-complete-but-doubts-remain-over-use
- Romania-Moldova Gas Pipeline – Global Energy Monitor https://www.gem.wiki/Romania-Moldova_Gas_Pipeline