My expertise is in global energy and international affairs, especially oil and gas as concerns Latin America, the Middle East, USA, China and the EU. I am both an academic and analyst.
I’m presently a Fellow at the AICGS (American Institute of Contemporary German Studies) in Washington, DC during April and May 2015, studying “US Expert Viewpoints on German [& EU] Energy Vulnerabilities.” (Funded by the German DAAD and the Foreign Office)
CONSULTING: I am a Senior Analyst at Wikistrat and consult with various other geopolitical, business-intelligence, and advisory firms and enjoy giving public and private talks. My work in energy and geopolitics is unusual because:
- I have a high competency in science, mathematics and technology (PhD in experimental nuclear physics)
- Extensive contacts in the energy sector and diplomacy—esp. in Latin America, the USA and Europe.
- And, before doing my PhD, I spent 10 years in industry, gaining technical experience in the energy and transport sectors, including automobile manufacturing, railway operations, large-scale HVAC and power generation.
- Presently (April-July 2014) I’m teaching a post-graduate seminar at the JFK Institute of Berlin’sFreie Universität on “The Global Oil System & US Policy. ”
- In NYC, I’ve been PT Faculty at the JJ Studley Graduate Program in International Affairs (GPIA) at The New School University.
- I previously taught at The University of Michigan on global energy, Mideast Studies, and Science, Technology and Society (STS) for many years, and also at The Ohio State University.
OPEC I’ve especially focused on Venezuela, Iran, Algeria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia — and on their relations with especially the USA and China.
LANGUAGES I speak English (native), fluent Spanish and am improving my German. Once upon a time I could chat in Mandarin Chinese.
TO CONTACT ME