Here’s an English transcript of my Al Jazeera comments on OPEC+ negotiations and some further remarks on the group’s agreement to raise production.
Good evening from Berlin.
Answer 1. Well, OPEC-Plus is faced with maintaining a very delicate balance.
On the one hand, demand in the Western world is down, its weak, while in the Eastern world, in Asia – in China and India – demand is relatively strong. And this is a complicating matter.
At the same time, in supply, in Libya, for example, the oil production is not under the [OPEC+] agreement and has been coming back on the market.
OPEC has been doing relatively well, in the last few months or so, of balancing the market. The question is, how to maintain this going forward, with its exports, how to balance supply with demand.
But what is appearing is not the big split between Russia and Saudi Arabia that we saw last year in the Oil Price War. Now we have differences … such as we see with the UAE [i.e., versus the Saudis]. The UAE would like, as we have seen, also Russia has said, an increase in production. That would be very difficult for other, more expensive producers to do at this point.
Answer 2: Yes. It does. I mean, of course the UAE has been getting a lot of press [about its demand to increase production], … so it is a matter of how serious the UAE is, and how serious the Russians are to want to raise production in some way.
- Video overview of my class: Energizing Europe. A critique of the German energy-transition model September 5, 2021
- My TRT TV-London: Cold War espionage in Berlin? Plus Russia’s “unique influence & penetration” of German society August 29, 2021
- My Warsaw Op-Ed: Nord Stream 2 deal marks a German win in setting allied strategy on Russia & Ukraine | Niemcy nie boją się Rosji. Boją się ryzyka płynącego z Ukrainy. August 22, 2021
- My CGTN live: Merkel put Biden in a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” bind on Nord Stream 2 deal July 25, 2021
- My DW live: The US-German “Bad Deal” on Nord Stream 2 Pipeline July 22, 2021
- My TRT TV | Biden’s Nord Stream 2 sanction waiver: Merkel’s price for unity before his Putin summit June 12, 2021
- My EuroNews: Why didn’t Biden sanction Nord Steam 2 AG or German firms? The Biden-Putin Summit. Berlin-Moscow gas-alliance kills US climate partnership. May 20, 2021
- My Wikistrat Analysis: Erdogan reminded of Turkey’s dependence on NATO/USA by Biden’s recognition of Armenia genocide May 4, 2021
- My Op-Ed | Die Ukraine als „Zentralbank“ für europäische Energie | Ukraine as “Central Bank” for European Energy April 8, 2021
- China & Russia stick with Venezuela’s Maduro for the same reason the USA stuck with S. Viet Nam [My Energy Analytics Institute Q&A] February 21, 2021
- Could Nord Stream 2 be axed? My guest appearance on Roundtable -TRT TV, London February 21, 2021
- I tell DW TV: Nord Stream 2 is geopolitical. Berlin & Moscow aim to reroute Russia-to-EU gas around “insecure” Ukraine. February 21, 2021
- The FT quotes my critique on: “German green foundation joins efforts to complete Nord Stream 2” February 8, 2021
- Deutsche Welle News live: Will Nord Stream 2 ever be completed? January 20, 2021
- My interviews: Tagesspiegel & Frankfurter Allgemeine (FAZ). Nord Stream 2 won’t avoid US sanctions using a phony “environmental foundation.” January 20, 2021
- My EuroNews #3: US Sanctions killing Nord Stream 2. Yet Berlin persists trying, with Moscow. January 7, 2021
- My EuroNews Q&A: All German parties back Nord Stream 2 except Greens; USA says it frees Putin to subvert Ukraine & Belarus December 9, 2020
- My Al Jazeera comments: OPEC+ strikes delicate balance as UAE & Russia defy Saudis December 7, 2020
- My EuroNews live interview: Contrary to Moscow’s disinformation & bravado, Nord Stream 2 pipeline is dead. December 4, 2020
- Nord Stream 2: Berlin-Washington Mutual Intransigence Shows Transatlantic Divide on Russia | My AICGS Analysis October 10, 2020
- EE UU v. Alemania: Sanciones y el oleoducto ruso Nord Stream 2 | Fui invitado en “El Fundo” de DW TV August 16, 2020
- I’m quoted by the FT | “Germany warns new US sanctions endanger Nord Stream 2 pipeline. (As) serious interference in European sovereignty” July 3, 2020
- My interview: on US troops redeployed in Germany & Poland | O’Donnell: Żołnierze u granic Rosji to sygnał dla Kremla [Wywiad] July 1, 2020
- Will Germany decide to unfreeze relations with Russia after the pandemic? Czy Niemcy zdecydują się na odmrożenie relacji z Rosją po pandemii? [My interview] May 9, 2020
- Oil Price War 3: My AlJazeera spot on negative price, Putin’s rout, shale, and Trump’s dilemma: independents v big oil April 26, 2020
- Decoding the Oil Price War 2: My Wikistrat webinar “Oil Price War & COVID Crisis” transcript April 14, 2020
- Decoding the Oil Price War 1: Moscow seized COVID crisis to hit US shale, force sanctions relief April 9, 2020
- Europe’s Gas Crunch: The Pending Crisis Around Nordstream 2 & Ukraine Transit June 6, 2019
- Washington interviews: Energy Relations of Russia, Germany, Poland & Ukraine (Kennan Fellow) June 2, 2019
- Venezuelan transition? My analysis on Germany’s DW TV | Videos: español & English March 1, 2019
- Germany backs small-scale LNG import terminals despite opposition [my King’s College/EUCERS paper] August 29, 2018
- Germany’s Real LNG Policy [My BPJ analysis] July 4, 2018
- Putin’s OPEC tactics: Iran sanctions and the Saudis [IBD cites me] June 18, 2018
- A Comment on: “A Trans-Atlantic Manifesto in Times of Trump – A German Perspective,” by foreign policy experts October 12, 2017
- China’s big NOCs slash prices to take market from private oil refiners ~ I’m quoted in “China Oil Week” July 31, 2017
- “Neue Neue Ostpolitik” My BPJ piece on German fury at Senate NS2 sanctions July 3, 2017
- Trump’s promise to “stay totally independent” of OPEC is populist hype [My IBD interview] January 3, 2017
- Putin’s new OPEC role reflects the toll of low oil prices on Russia [IBD quotes me] December 9, 2016
- My CNNMoney quote & 3 points: OPEC v shale, Russia’s new role & Trump-buddy Hamm is pro Saudi price band December 3, 2016
- An Oil-Price War´s Surprise Ending -My BPJ article on OPEC, Shale, Trump, Market & Geopolitics November 30, 2016
- Saudi & Russia seek oil deal as OPEC fight v US shale fails [My RTRadio Interview] November 21, 2016
- Post-election reading list: Trump’s foreign policy portends “world crisis” November 9, 2016
- Bolivarian Venezuela in crisis: An oil-rich nation collapses? Berlin, 10 October October 3, 2016
- Pipe Dream? Polish ruling complicates Nord Stream 2 pipeline for Gazprom & EU partners [My Berlin Policy Journal piece] September 26, 2016
- “Energy independence” won’t free the USA from global oil market & geopolitics [I’m cited: CNNMoney] August 12, 2016
- How fast can Libyan oil recover? (I’m quoted by CNN) July 21, 2016
- New US tech squeezing oilfields & rivals [IBD quotes me] June 18, 2016
- What’s keeping foreign oil firms out of Iran? IRG? [CNNMoney quotes me] June 17, 2016
- IBD News cites me: OPEC Oil Production Ceiling Reported On Table June 2, 2016
- Don’t write off American oil boom despite OPEC – CNNMoney cites my analysis June 1, 2016